This recipe makes 6 portions. This recipe tastes just as delicious if you leave out the meat and opt for a vegetarian alternative.
- 1 large butternut squash with a tall top and small bottom
- 1 chilly
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 500g of 5% lean beef mince
- 2 tins of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 peppers
- 300g cottage cheese
- 1 large handful of mixed seeds
- Salt and pepper
1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees.
2. Peel the butternut squash and cut it in half. Look at where the seeded middle is and cut it off where it starts on both halves. This will leave you with a big chunk of butternut squash. Cut the big bit of butternut squash into thin slices, creating your lasagne sheets. The left over part of the butter squash can be deseeded and cut up into moon shape pieces. See picture below to give you a clearer idea on what you are aiming for.
3. Put the whole of the butter squash on to an oven tray and season with salt and pepper. Put it in the oven for around 10 minutes. Don’t worry about the butternut squash overlapping each other.
4. Whilst the squash is cooking, crush 4 cloves of garlic and chop up one chilly into fine pieces. Add the garlic, chilly and mince meat into a large saucepan and fry off until the mince has browned.
5. Add two tins of chopped tomatoes and 1 tbsp of balsamic vinegar and stir it altogether.
6. At this point it will be time to take out the butternut squash from the oven and leave to cool.
7. Return to the mince mixture and finely chop up the peppers and add them too. Leave to simmer for 15 minutes, or until it begins to thicken.
8. Get a large oven proof dish and line the bottom of it with the mince. Then add a layer of spinach and finish it off with a layer of butternut squash. Repeat one more time, although this time the butternut squash will be some of your lasagne layers and some of the moon shaped butternut squash. Scatter them all over and layer on some more of the delicious tomato mince.
9. To add a final texture, scatter some cottage cheese evenly on top, then sprinkle over some mixed seeds. When the cottage cheese cooks it has the taste and texture of mozzarella. Yum!
10. Cook in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
11. Remove the lasagne from the oven and leave to cool for around 5 minutes. Then Serve with a side of salad or fresh greens.