Another veggie winter warmer packed with flavour.
- 500g yellow split peas
- two red onions
- 2 tsp of cumin seeds
- 2 tsp of cinnamon
- 2 bay leaves
- a chunk of chopped ginger
- 1 tsp of chilli flakes
- 2 tsp of ground turmeric
- 2 tbsp of garam masala
- 2-3 vegetable stock cubes
- 1 litre hot water
- 8-10 okra
- one large handful of spinach
- Greek yogurt
- Fresh coriander
- Pour 500g of yellow split peas into a large saucepan and cover with some hot water.
- Whilst your peas are soaking, cut up two onions and fry them for a couple of minutes until softened.
- Along wth the onions add 2 tsp of cumin seeds, 2 tsp of cinnamon, 2 bay leaves, a chunk of chopped ginger, 1 tsp of chilli flakes, 2 tsp of ground turmeric, and 2 tbsp of garam masala. Fry this for 1 minute.
- Drain the peas and put them back into the saucepan. Add a litre of vegetable stock. This can be easily made by adding 2-3 vegetable stock cubes to some hot water.
- Then pour in your onion spice mix from the pan into the pea broth. Mix all of it together and let it simmer.
- Whilst it is simmering cut up 8-10 okra into chunks and chuck that in too. Let it simmer for around 30 minutes until it is completely softened. You know when it is ready as you can see it turning into a mushy pea consistency. You may have to add more water throughout, so bare this in mind.
- When it looks ready, stir in some large handfuls of spinach. Put in as much spinach as you want.
- To serve, top it with some greek yogurt and sprinkle over some coriander.
- Tub up all your leftovers into around 6-8 small containers and freeze it.